This formerly open thread is now restricted to discussing this comment by Ebbtide from another thread:
“How is it that even though “the overwhelming majority of violence and exploitation is done to male characters.”, it doesn’t occur to people to ask whether or not this is consistently misandrist?”
Oh, I don’t know. Perhaps it’s for the same reason that “Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them” shirts are just A-OK with NOW…
Update (22 December): Marcella has posted a similar story over at Alas.
Rules for participants in the comments (including co-bloggers/moderators) of all of my threads.
- Keep it civil. Try to keep each other civil.
- Don’t raise new topics or issues not reasonably responsive to what has been said before in the thread.
- Topic drift is not discouraged so long as each comment is reasonably responsive to the comment to which it replies. However I reserve the right to divert a digression into another thread.
- Don’t make controvertial claims unless you are prepared to support them precisely as you made them with evidence.
- If you see that you have made a mistake, post a correction. If your error has caused offense, correct it and apologise.
- You may ask that a new thread be started on a topic of your choice. I do not promise to give you one.
- Discussion of my moderation of a thread is allowed in that thread.
- You may not discuss these rules. If you want to discuss these rules, ask for a thread to discuss them in.
- I may change the rules if I find them to be not conducive to intelligent, civil discussion.
- I will try to moderate with a kind word, failing that, with harsh words. Magic powers are a last resort.
- Moderators, please be proactive in moderating my threads according to these rules. That includes moderating me. I reserve the right to overrule you.
Edited to add the last two rules. Moderators may edit this post to endorse these rules if they want them to apply to their threads too.